Now that 2011 is coming to a close, I thought it would be only fitting to share my top 5 recipes of the year with you. It was hard to narrow down the recipes to just 5 from the past year (after all, there were 132 to choose from!). The recipes I've chosen are staples in my home. They are recipes I love, I've definitely made more than once, and, most importantly, are utterly unforgettable.
1. (above) This S'mores Pie was so good I made it twice in one week (and the second time my sister and I refused to share it with anyone else).
2. Based off a soup from a common Italian restaurant, this Zuppa Toscana features potato, onions, garlic, and sausage bathed in a creamy chicken broth with kale. My favorite part? You can make it as spicy as you'd like.
3. These Honey Rolls are buttery, light, and subtly sweet. They grace the table at every holiday meal as the staple dinner roll in my home. Did I mention they are also easy to make?
4. Roasted Cherry Bittersweet Brownies come from the land of dreams-come-true. The brownie is as decadent as a truffle, with caramelized roasted cherries to bring out a unique flavor. These are a must-taste of 2011.
5. Coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, and a respectable amount of coconut rum come together to bring this 3 Milk Coconut Cake to life. You can think of it as a tres leches cake with a coconut twist. It is quite possible to eat 4 pieces of this cake in a single day.
6. My Grandma's Applesauce is chunky, soft, and tender, with just a hint of spice. It tastes just like pie filling (but it's actually healthy for you!). One batch is never, ever enough.
So, it turns out I couldn't stick to just 5 recipes after all. Can you really blame me?
What are your favorite recipes from 2011?